Mar. 13, 2012 | By Amy Brock
Helpful Parking Info & Guidelines for Savannah St. Patrick’s Day
- Thursday, March 15: In order to guarantee monthly cardholders a parking space, public parking will be limited.
- Friday, March 16: In order to guarantee monthly cardholders a parking space, public parking will be limited until 5pm. Public parking will end at 11pm and re-open Saturday at 6am.
- Saturday, March 17: All garages will open to the public at 6am. Monthly cardholders with 24-hour access will be guaranteed their space until 7am. Monthly cardholders with 24-hour access/reserved parking spaces will be guaranteed.
- Sunday, March 18: All garages will return to normal operations and pricing beginning Sunday morning. The Liberty Garage will close at 5pm on Sunday and re-open Monday at 5am (the garage is traditionally closed on the weekends).
- Visitor Day Passes are not valid in all parking garages & lots during the festival.
- Residential Decals prohibited during St. Patrick’s festival. Residents are required to pay to park in the garages.
- Due to the parade route vehicles, parking in the garages will not be allowed to exit until after the parade ends.
- Cars parked at owner’s risk. Park your vehicle, lock it, keep valuables out of site, and exit the garage. No tailgating from vehicles and no loitering in the garage.
- Attendants will accept fees prior to entering the garage to provide for quicker exist. Once you have paid, you will receive a numbered ticket. This ticket must be presented to the attendant upon exiting.
- Thursday, March 15, 5am until Friday, March 16 at 8am, parking is $15.
- Vehicles exiting after 8am on Friday will be charged an additional $15.
- Friday, March 16, 5am until Saturday, March 17 at 8am, parking will be $15.
- Vehicles exiting after 8am on Saturday will be charged an additional $15.
- Saturday, March 17, 5am until Sunday, March 18 at 8am, parking will be $15.
- Vehicles exiting after 8am on Sunday, March 18 will be charged an additional:
- Bryan, Liberty, Robinson and State St. Garages – $5
- Whitaker St – $10
- Vehicles exiting after 7am, Monday, March 19 will be charged the daily rate of $1.00 per hour in addition to the fees accumulated during the festival.
- Lost ticket – flat rate – $35.00
Savannah Visitor Center at Martin Luther King, Jr. Boulevard
The Visitors Center lot will be available for parking at 6am, Saturday, March 17; charging the special event rate of $15. Vehicles parking before 6am must purchase a pass. Vehicles not displaying a pass are subject to being cited.
RV and Motor Coach parking is permitted and limited during the festival. The parking fee is $15.00 per day per vehicle and/or vehicle in tow. Parking passes can be purchased Wednesday, March 16 thru Saturday, March 17 from the Parking Attendant in the control booth at the exit gate. If an RV/Motor Coach or a vehicle leaves during the festival, their parking space is not guaranteed. Please park properly to avoid being cited. Please put ALL trash in the trash receptacles.
Liberty/ Whitaker Street Parking Lot (Lot beside SOHO restaurant)
Attendants will accept fees prior to entering the lot. Parking will be available at 6am; Saturday, March 17; parking will be $15. Vehicles parking before 6am are subject to being cited and/or towed.
Residential Decals prohibited during St. Patrick’s festival.
Motorcoaches and other Private Shuttles
Motorcoaches and private shuttles are directed to use Indian Street between Warner and Fahm. No parking will be allowed on Indian Street for the duration of the festival period, Thurs/Fri/ Sat.
Civic Center Parking Lot
The parking lot will be closed to the public Saturday, March 17, due to staging for the parade.
On-Street Parking Enforcement
- Friday, March 16: Regular enforcement; parking meters, time zones and safety violations will be enforced normally. Friday evening after 5p.m., there will be enforcement of safety violations (yellow lines, fire hydrants, etc.).
- Saturday, March 17 & Sunday, March 18: Enforcement of safety violations only.
Police will mobilize the towing companies to remove cars from the parade route Saturday, March 17, at 6am. All vehicles illegally parked in areas affected by the parade will be towed at owner’s expense. To retrieve your towed vehicle, the vehicle owners must obtain a vehicle release form from Savannah-Chatham Metropolitan Police Department (SCMPD) Headquarters at Habersham and Oglethorpe Streets. Proof of ownership is required to obtain a vehicle release form from SCMPD.
CAT Shuttle Service
Chatham Area Transit (CAT) will provide a St. Patrick’s Day shuttle on March 17, 2012 from 8:00 AM – 11:00 AM from the following locations:
- Westside at the Westside Shopping Center on Hwy 80 in Garden City
- Eastside at the Island Towne Centre on Whitemarsh Island
- Southside at the Savannah Mall near the Burlington/Target corridor
Parade patrons may park their cars at these locations and ride the shuttles into downtown Savannah. The shuttles will begin return trips from the parade in downtown Savannah from 12:00 NOON – 3:00 PM.
After 3:00 PM, shuttle patrons can return to their cars via CAT’s fixed routes:
• The 3A and 3B routes will return within a block of the Westside Shopping Center so you would have to walk that block.
• The 10 East Savannah route will return to the Island Towne Centre.
• The 114 Abercorn will return to the Savannah Mall.
1. A $3 day pass provides a ride to the parade and a return trip.
2. Patrons are encouraged to have correct change.
3. Passes may be purchased in advance at CAT’s main office, 900 East Gwinnett Street or CAT Central, 124 Bull Street and The General Store at Oglethorpe Mall (next to JC Penney).
The Savannah Belles Ferry will begin operating at 7:00 AM. Between 7:00 AM and 4:30 PM, service will be available from the Savannah International Trade & Convention Center and the Savannah City Hall Landing only. After 4:30 PM, normal scheduling will resume to include the Marriott Savannah Riverfront’s pier. Service will be available until 12:00 AM.
For more information, please contact CAT at 912-236-2111 or visit their website at www.catchacat.org.
River Street and the Ramps will be closed to vehicular traffic starting on Thursday, March 15, 4 p.m. to Sunday, March 18, 4 p.m. Please note, Wednesday, March 14 beginning at 9:00 a.m., the Savannah Chatham Metropolitan Police Department (SCMPD) will begin dropping equipment. Vehicular traffic on River Street will be intermittent for a 2-3 hour time frame.
All River Street deliveries must occur during the times listed below:
· Thursday, March 15—7:00 a.m.-12 noon
· Friday, March 16—7:00 a.m.-10:00 a.m.
· Saturday, March 17—7:00 a.m.-10:00 a.m.
· Sunday, March, 18—7:00 a.m.-11:00 a.m.
Please use the Fahm Street Ramp for your access point to River Street. The Martin Luther King Jr. Boulevard Ramp north of Indian Street will be closed to vehicular traffic intermittently from Thursday, March 15 through Sunday, March 18.
River Street is subject to be closed at anytime as early as Friday based on public safety and pedestrian traffic.
To manage crowds and increase pedestrian safety, SCMPD is announcing that Bay Street will be CLOSED to through traffic intermittently after 6 p.m. to 4 a.m. from Friday, March 16 through Saturday, March 17. Also, parking on Bay Street, and the public and private parking spaces north of Bay Street, will be restricted beginning at 3:00 p.m. on Friday, March 16th and all day Saturday, March 17th.
Additionally, Bay Street will be CLOSED to vehicular traffic on Saturday, March 17 from 8 a.m. to 3 p.m. for the St. Patrick’s Day Parade.
The City will not be restricting access to private parking prior to the Bay Street closures unless it becomes absolutely necessary. However, all businesses, including hotels need to make alternative arrangements for patrons arriving after Bay Street closes in the event the Police Department closes Bay Street completely to vehicular traffic.
As always, it is recommended that as many deliveries and/or shipments as possible are scheduled prior to March 15. Also, it is suggested that plans are made to avoid this area throughout the St. Patrick’s Day Festival. Although attempts are being made to inform all businesses affected by this and other road closings, your assistance in sharing this information with other businesses is requested.
St. Patrick’s Day Parking at Savannah International Trade & Convention Center
Parking for the St. Patrick’s Day Parade will be available at the Savannah International Trade & Convention Center beginning at 7AM and ending at 3PM on Saturday, March 17 for a fee of $10 per vehicle including a round trip on the water ferry for all vehicle passengers. PLEASE NOTE: The Trade Center Parking Lot will not admit vehicles after 3pm on Saturday, March 17.
The water ferry will run beginning from Savannah International Trade & Convention Center at 7:10 AM until midnight for convenience of Trade Center and Westin guests.
Stay connected to the City of Savannah through Facebook or Twitter: @cityofsavannah
St. Patrick’s Day Guide:
Guidelines for Parks and Squares
Parade patrons will not be allowed to set up in parks and squares until 6 a.m. Parade Day (Saturday, March 17).
The only furniture allowed in squares are tables, coolers, lawn chairs and 10-by-10-foot tents. The following are among the items NOT ALLOWED in squares and parks: grills, amplified sound, scaffolding, advertisements, barriers, bartenders, private security.
All material should be removed from the square by 6 p.m. the day of the parade. The use of City electricity and water is prohibited.
Please be advised that it is against the City of Savannah’s policy to allow portable toilets to be placed in our parks and squares. We would remind you that portable toilets for private use are not allowed in the City Rights of Way, alleys, sidewalks or inside squares.
The City will allow taxis to stage at Indian Street and on the corner of Whitaker/ St. Julian streets only.